In order to optimize the result of an anticipated periodontal surgery, we strongly recommend that you follow these instructions:
- Take a nutritious meal before the surgery
- Take your pre-operative medications as prescribed: you will need to take a few pills 1 hour before the surgery, as indicated on the prescription.
- If a sedative has been planned, take the sedative medication as prescribe 1 hour before the surgery. It is important to come accompanied and not to drive. If no sedative has been planned and you would like to take one, contact us.
- If no sedative has been planned, you can safely drive.
- Make sure to have a bag of frozen peas (or equivalent) in order to apply the cold for the first 24 hours. It is important not to put the ice directly on the skin.
- For the first 24-48 hours, make sure to have ice cream, yogurt, jell-o, pudding, fruit juices and meal replacement products like Boost or Ensure at home.
- Plan to rest or do light activities for the first 24-48 hours after surgery.
- Do not do any physical activity for the first 48 hours after the surgery.
- Avoid putting make-up for the surgery as we will have to remove it.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 514-630-6899, we will be happy to assist you.